Sunday, April 5, 2009

Who's your Marley?

Although I have a love for all the dogs we have had over the years I would have to say our family "Marley" is Raider. Raider is a black Lab mix we adopted from the Amarillo pound.

Raider was an answer to prayers. You see at 5 years old Joshua was bit in the face by our then pet; a Lhaso Apso mix by the name of Raschel (Raschel was destroyed to say the least; Kimberly wanted to shoot him with the BB gun when it happened). Josh had to have his lower lip stitched back together and the corner of his mouth pieced together. After such an event Josh was terrified of dogs. I thought he would never want another dog.


During the summer before Josh's 5th grade year he asked could he get a dog. Needless to say Josh, Kimberly and I immediately drove to the pound to pick out a dog for Josh; surprise Craig. Josh found Raider or should I say Raider found Josh.



They were inseparable.

During Raiders first 2 years he ate more fence pickets than you can count, blankets from his doghouse, garden hoses, a baby raccoon, squirrels, the ear off Josh's pet rabbit (RIP) and anything else lying around.

He was a pillow for Josh while Josh played Playstation and a bed warmer on cold winter nights.

Joshua is Raiders boy. Raider likes all people but you can see a difference in the way he "looks" at Joshua.

Raider "attended" Texas Tech with Josh and made a lot of new friends.

Raider is getting old; he is in his 14th year. His eyesight is no good and his hearing is even worse but he is a happy dog.

I challenge you to share your story of the family "Marley".

1 comment:

Sarah said...

aww! Sweet story! We have a Marley, and he actually looks just like Marley. He is a yellow lab...and he had his share of fence pickets, air conditioner wires and hoses, our outdoor covered swing....but we love him and he is so unbelievable loyal. And now Saylor is his biggest fan!

I loved that book and movie!